Miami, Florida patients who are dealing with an itchy scalp fully understand how frustrating it can be. Excessive itchiness may be a sign of a problem that cannot be controlled with over-the-counter solutions. Dr. Michael Margulies and his team at Kendall Dermatology believe that an itchy scalp can be addressed once a proper diagnosis is obtained. Below are a few of the more common reasons why patients might be dealing with an itchy scalp:
- Dandruff – seborrheic dermatitis, more commonly known as dandruff, is a common condition that can occur due to inflamed glands. It can cause itching, flaking, scales, or reddened skin. It can occur on babies as well, known as cradle cap.
- Head lice – lice is highly contagious, and is known as a formation of small gnat-like bugs in the hair. They can be difficult to remove, and sometimes require professional treatment to contain and stop spreading.
- Scalp psoriasis – psoriasis is a skin condition that causes white patches on different areas of the body. It can also develop on the scalp, and become extremely problematic. Patients will want to ask their dermatologist about the options available for treatment.
- Shingles – shingles, or herpes zoster, is a reactivation of the chickenpox virus. After a person has chickenpox, the virus can remain within the nervous system for years and reactivate at a later time as shingles. This viral infection can cause pain, burning and itching on the scalp and elsewhere on the body.
- Contact dermatitis – this is irritation that might be due to a contact with an allergen. This might happen if you change to a new shampoo, conditioner, or other hair products that react negatively to the ingredients in the product.
Call Dr. Michael Margulies of Kendall Dermatology today!
If you reside in the Miami, Florida area and are dealing with an uncontrollably itchy scalp, it may be time to speak to a dermatological professional about your condition. Call our office at (305) 595-0393 to request a consultation visit with our team at 8940 North Kendall Drive, Suite #704E. We are committed to offering patients a wide selection of cosmetic and medical dermatology solutions for the skin, hair, nails, and body at our state-of-the-art facility.