While getting outdoors and enjoying some fresh air is vital for our health and wellbeing, patients should be prudent about how much time they spend out in the sun and how they protect their skin. Skin cancer is a common cancer diagnosis that is caused by UV damage to the skin. With proper protective steps in place, Miami, FL area patients can proactively reduce their risk of skin cancer with doctor recommendations.
What are some recommendations to protect your skin?
There are many ways in which patients can protect the skin from harmful UV rays that can significantly increase one’s risk of skin cancer. Consider the following recommendations set forth by our team at Kendall Dermatology:
- Avoid getting sunburned, as each incident significantly increases your risk of skin cancer in the future
- Apply sunscreen as directed to the body every day, regardless of how much time you are spending outside
- Avoid tanning, and never utilize tanning beds
- Stay out of the sun during the time of day when the sun’s rays are strongest, between 10am and 4pm
- Seek shade whenever possible, especially if spending extensive amounts of time outdoors
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher each day and reapply as needed
- Avoid putting sunscreen on newborns, and keep them out of the sun
- Wear clothing that covers the skin and protects it from UV rays, such as long-sleeved shirts and broad-brimmed hats
- Wear UV-blocking sunglasses to protect your eyes from sun damage
- Visit Kendall Dermatology at least once a year for a professional skin exam and skin cancer screening
- Contact your doctor anytime you notice a new skin growth or changes in current ones
Work with a dermatology practice that cares about your skin and health
At Kendall Dermatology, Dr. Aaron Coulon and his team are committed to ensuring patients have access to the solutions they need for a healthier, beautiful skin. If you are interested in a skin cancer screening or have questions about new or changing growths on your skin, it may be a good time to connect with a professional for an evaluation. Call Kendall Dermatology at (305) 595-0393 to request an appointment at our Miami, FL area practice located at 9408 SW 87th Avenue, Suite #300.